Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Walk on


 Sometimes I decide on a photo first and try to use it as a springboard to write. I picked this one, because I like the agreement of the white umbrella and the blooming flowers down in the  bottom right. It is also a summer scene, which takes me away from this cold snowy morning. The snow from yesterday was all hard and crunchy underfoot on my way from the parking lot. The only nice thing was a wonderful crescent moon, but the cold wind hurt too much to look up at it for long, and since I broke three fingers last winter when I feel on ice, I tend to now look down a good bit when walking on winter streets.

However, staring at the photo has not drawn anything out from my troubled mind. And that is what I need this morning, something to push out the negative stuff. With the earthquake, there seems to be a strange start to the year and classes have been put online for at least this week. Not that mind (and sometime crave) solitude, but it has been about two weeks since I have been in my normal routine. I kind of miss walking into a class full of students.

I am sleeping well, though, which is usually a good barometer of my disposition, so I am not all the worried. Just trying to fight off the temptation to spend my day frustrated at things I cannot control and to get on with taking care of business. Just gotta keep walking on and blend in with the scene, like the woman in the photo.

Ok then.