Saturday, January 23, 2021

Waiting to be called



Another photo from my vaults. Guessing about 1998 or so. It was at a regional tour, which the sumo world makes in between the six official tournaments each year. These younger wrestlers were all standing around the ring, trying to get called to be the next sparring partner of senior rikishi in the center. They all were calling out to be chosen, eager to get into the action and show what they were made of. I think I may have posted a similar photo years ago. (I did indeed, a wide shot, about 9 years ago)

I used to feel a bit like them. That is, I was always looking for someone to make me the center of their attention. I always wanted the floor. I thrived when holding court and telling stories and jokes. Now I am just as happy to stand on the outside. 

Anyway, not sure what I am trying to say. The photo itself has something going on that I cannot put into words. I usually try to post an image and find some connection to my own human experience, but maybe this is one of those days when the creative gods do not call on me. So, I will just leave it at that.