Thursday, May 6, 2021

Carrying someone's water

Circa 1994, Tokyo's Ryogoku

Photo from a visit I made to Tokyo, some 25 plus years ago. The guy in front (Daishoho) was a full-fledged top ranked wrestler, and the guy in the back was one of his minions in the lower ranks, toting a case of water back to the sumo stable. Perhaps the guys in the far back in the trench coat, out of focus, was a reporter. There is a shot on the same roll that shows him talking to another wrestler. Daishoho died of cancer about 5 years later at the age of 32.

Carrying water for others is occasionally something that most of us have to do. I usually do not mind, provided that I am not being taken advantage of. Appreciation and respect for doing grunt work can also go a long way. 

School is now back to full swing after the Golden Week break. I didn't really take much of a break, but I did get a lot of work done with the peace and quiet of an empty campus for a few days. Now there is pretty much no rest until August. Trying just to tread water and not worry too much about the pace of progress of a few projects. I am busy, but I am sleeping well each night knowing that I am putting in the work.