Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Blues for myself


 Shirley Johnson, Chicago, circa 2000

It seems that a little patch of blues I ran into last week has just blown away and I am mostly back to normal. I was a bit mired in self-inflicted office woes, but getting out for an extra long walk on Sunday was really all I needed to drop the little bag of pity I was toting around. I am blessed with clarity, at least for now.

Photo from either 2000 or 2001 in Chicago, when I used to spend a few nights exposing 35mm black and white in the blues clubs before I moved on to home for the holidays. Coming from Japan the jet lag can be rough, which is why being in Chicago was perfect. Most clubs really don't get all that interesting until 11pm, so being on Japan-time, I could stay out all night.

The photo is a bit of experiment with the scanner. I have been using it mostly with negatives, but this one I tried with a print on the flatbed. I made the original sliver-gelatin print at the art college I worked.  My darkroom skills were hit and miss, but this was one of the nicer ones. The earnings and dress just come popping out of the dark club. The singer, Shirely Johnson, is apparently still out there, which is comforting knowing how tough it was for musicians during the pandemic.