It is mid-week and this semester I am lucky to have Wednesdays with no teaching duties. It is nice to slow down and take care of loose end in the morning, and they try to get serious about my own projects. At the moment, I am transcribing spoken text, which sometimes become a strange kind of escape. My recent method is to listen with headphones and that speak into a microphone to use the dictation function in Word. This seems to be more accurate that doing it directly plus it allows me to get close to the text and start to notice things that I can later write about.
I have been mostly listening to ceramic artist give live demonstrations, so when I am deep into transcription and repeating everything they say while watching their actions, it becomes almost like meditation and I get into the flow, as described by Csikszentmihalyi.
So, before I get "lost in transcription", just wanted to post the Italian cat that crossed my trail (I ain't superstitious). I have been thinking that it is time for me to dig deeper into the hundreds of rolls of 35mm film that comprise my morgue. I may post less words and more photos in the next few weeks or so.
