Terrible snow this week. Wet, cold, dark, with thunder and lightning. This morning, the sky cleared a bit and I decided to walk to campus. I left at about 6:30 when it was still a little dark. Very quiet and not as cold as I had thought. It was a wonderful way to start the day.
As I walked to work in the cold silence, I couldn't help to laugh out loud (yeah, I actually did) and smile at how easy and simple life could be if you let it. All my regular worries vanished. Nothing except the rising sun and the crows that flew by seems to have any importance. For the first time in a while I felt that inner tone that has always been there. The one that rings out with good positive vibrations and makes me feel like I matter in this world. Not sure if it is confidence or arrogance, but I just felt like I was special and better than the guy I have been looking at in the mirror lately.
The feeling, like all good things, did not last forever. By the time I got to the office, I was back on the gerbil run-a-round wheel trying to make my fingers crank out something that could pass for linguistic analysis. The walk home was nowhere near as nice. Too noisy and people and cars in my way. But, still, the morning niceness was worth it.
Ok then.