Tuesday, December 20, 2022

All that is left to do


 The only thing that is left to do is laugh.   --Zen saying

With many things finished and all tidied up, I can slowly start to see that I did, indeed, have a productive year. I did beat myself up a good bit over the past 12 months, but at the same time I landed some good blows to the familiar demons. Maybe, for 2022's last week or so, I can slow down and just coast a bit.

Changing the topic, my Holden Caulfield radar picked up a good example of phony baloney this morning in a person who was seriously humble-bragging about their work. It was a classic case of "Oh, enough talking about me, let's talk about you. What do you think of me?" One merit of getting old is that the urge to combat phonies just kind of goes away and you almost feel sorry for them. The older I get, the more I feel that good work stands on its own. There is no need to turn the tea cup over to see the signature stamp or to look at the small title card next to an oil painting before you take a good look at it. Talking out your ass about what you were trying to accomplish is meaningless if the work missed the goal.

Best not to take yourself too seriously. Maybe life is just a laugh, and I mean that in a good way.