Sunday, February 5, 2023

Fuku wa uchi


February 3rd in Japan is Setsubun, which celebrates the last day of Winter in the old Japanese calendar. The phrase Oni wa soto, fuku wa uchi is associated with this day, meaning: Out with the demons! In with the goodness! The Japanese Oni (鬼) could be called a demon, ogre, troll, or something like that. The image above is a poor little oni laboring away with his miserable life. On Setsubun, while shouting the above phrase, it is tradition to throw beans to ward off the oni(s).

I try to avoid specific details about work here on my little corner of the internet, so forgive the vagueness, but this year's setsubun was one of my best ever. I finally have accomplished a three year goal and no longer feel like I am shouldering a massive weight. This is not to say that I am free from other burdens, as there are a whole bunch of other oni I deal with on a daily basis, in both personal and professional contexts. It is just that a particular loud and bothersome troll has walked away and will leave me be. 

Unfortunately, it is still very much winter here in the current Japanese calendar, but this coming spring may very well be when I can exit the midlife doldrums and embrace being old and wise (or at least pretend that I am...wise, that is). I got a fistful of official anti-oni beans now, ready to be flung if need be.

Ok then.